If your home or business has been affected by water damage due to storms or flooding, it’s important to know the steps of proper water damage repair. Contacting a professional water damage restoration company that offers water damage repair like National Restoration can provide the services you need to restore your home after a flood.
So in this article, we will outline what you should do if your home is affected by water damage and also share some information about our step-by-step process of water damage repair.
What to Do Before Getting Started
Before you get started in the water damage repair process it’s important that you take the proper precautionary measure to ensure your safety and the success of the project. Here are the steps you should take before you begin the project:
- Make sure it’s safe: It could be days before it’s safe to reenter a home after a storm has passed. You should make sure all power and gas is turned off in the flooded area before you do any work.
- Check for structural integrity: Floods can weaken the foundation of your home. Make sure to take note of any cracks or weaknesses that have appeared so they can be fixed.
- Check for mold growth: Mold spores can be very irritating and potentially dangerous. Mold growth often happens after flooding so make sure to take note of where mold could be growing.
- Photograph the damage: After the water damage repair process is complete you’ll need to have the proper documentation to give to your insurance company for both before and after the damage is repaired.
- Wear protective gear: Dirty water can be full of hazardous debris and disease. It’s important to protect yourself by wearing gear such as rubber boots, goggles, and rubber gloves.
Once you’ve taken all the proper precautions, you can begin to start the job. Remember to keep safety a top priority and call a professional if the scale becomes too much to handle.
The Steps of Water Damage Repair
- Dry it out: Water damage repair can only begin once all water is removed from the affected area. In many cases you may need to use the aid of professional equipment such as vacuums, industrial fans, and dehumidifiers. This is also imperative to preventing mold growth since mold needs the moisture to thrive. Adding some more ventilation to the area by opening windows can help speed up the drying process.
- Thoroughly inspect the damage: You need to determine exactly what areas have been affected and what damage needs to be corrected. This can involve checking out structures in the home such as the roofing and the plumbing. Make sure to keep protective clothing on at all times during this process.
- Disinfect: Once everything is dried out completely, you need to make sure every surface and item that has been affected by water damage has been thoroughly cleaned and disinfected to prevent the spread of mold.
- Call a Professional Water Damage Repair Company: At the end of the day, the best way to make sure all these steps are done safely and correctly is to see professional water damage repair services. At National Restoration Experts, we are a water damage repair company serving the Palm Beach and Broward counties of Florida.
A Water Damage Repair Company You Can Count On
Contact National Restoration Experts at 754-216-4660 now for 24 hour water damage restoration, fire damage restoration, or mold treatment, or receive a quick quotation from our website. In 30 to 60 minutes, our restoration crew will arrive at your south Florida house or office.