If your home or business has been affected by water damage due to storms or flooding, it’s important to know the steps of proper water damage repair. Water damage in your home can be particularly devastating not just because of the damage to the property, but the potential for hazardous mold growth if the affected area isn’t properly dried or cleaned. You may want to seek the help of a professional water damage repair company if your home or business is ever affected because immediate and skilled water damage repair is the best way to ensure your building can be returned to the state it was in before.
What to Do Before Getting Started
Before you get started in the water damage repair process it’s important that you take the proper precautionary measure to ensure your safety and the success of the project. Here are the steps you should take before you begin the project:
- Make sure it’s safe: It could be days before it’s safe to reenter a home after a storm has passed. You should make sure all power and gas is turned off in the flooded area before you do any work.
- Check for structural integrity: Floods can weaken the foundation of your home. Make sure to take note of any cracks or weaknesses that have appeared so they can be fixed.
- Check for mold growth: Mold spores can be very irritating and potentially dangerous. Mold growth often happens after flooding so make sure to take note of where mold could be growing.
- Photograph the damage: After the water damage repair process is complete you’ll need to have the proper documentation to give to your insurance company for both before and after the damage is repaired.
- Wear protective gear: Dirty water can be full of hazardous debris and disease. It’s important to protect yourself by wearing gear such as rubber boots, goggles, and rubber gloves.
Once you’ve taken all the proper precautions, you can begin to start the job. Remember to keep safety a top priority and call a professional if the scale becomes too much to handle.
The Steps of Water Damage Repair:
1: Dry it out
Water damage repair can only begin once all water is removed from the affected area. In many cases you may need to use the aid of professional equipment such as vacuums, industrial fans, and dehumidifiers. This is also imperative to preventing mold growth since mold needs the moisture to thrive. Adding some more ventilation to the area by opening windows can help speed up the drying process.
2: Thoroughly inspect the damage
You need to determine exactly what areas have been affected and what damage needs to be corrected. This can involve checking out structures in the home such as the roofing and the plumbing. Make sure to keep protective clothing on at all times during this process.
Once everything is dried out completely, you need to make sure every surface and item that has been affected by water damage has been thoroughly cleaned and disinfected to prevent the spread of mold.
4: Call a Professional Water Damage Repair Company
At the end of the day, the best way to make sure all these steps are done safely and correctly is to see professional water damage repair services. At National Restoration Experts, we are a water damage repair company serving the Palm Beach and Broward counties of Florida. We provide 24 hour service that’s professional and guaranteed to ensure your home or business is returned to the way it was after disaster strikes. Learn how to get a free estimate by visiting our website at https://www.nationalrestorationexperts.com/services/water-damage-repair-florida/ or calling our number at (754) 219-4660.