Household molds are more than just an eyesore, whether it’s the slimy black spots on your shower curtain, the fuzzy white patches on your basement floor, or the slick orange film that grows on your kitchen drain. Mold in your house can make you ill in some circumstances, especially if you have allergies or asthma.
Mold exposure can irritate your eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs whether you are allergic to household molds or not. Here’s what you can do to battle mold and protect yourself and your house.
Who Is At Risk of Mold Reactions?
Inhaling or handling mold spores can produce allergic responses such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash in those who are allergic to mold. People with severe mold allergies may experience more severe responses, such as shortness of breath. Breathing in mold spores can trigger asthma episodes in those who are sensitive to mold.
Others who may be particularly vulnerable to the effects of mold, in addition to those who have allergies or asthma, include:
- Children and infants
- Senior citizens
- People whose immune systems have been weakened as a result of HIV infection, cancer, liver disease, or chemotherapy
- People suffering from chronic lung illness
What Is Mold?
Mold is a form of fungus composed of tiny organisms that may be found virtually anywhere. They are available in black, white, orange, green, and purple. Household molds serve a vital function in nature by decomposing dead leaves, plants, and trees. Molds flourish in damp environments and proliferate via small, lightweight spores that float through the air. Every day, you are exposed to mold.
Mold spores are typically safe in tiny numbers, but when they land on a moist place in your house, they can begin to develop. When mold grows on a surface, spores are discharged into the air and are easily ingested. If you are allergic to mold and inhale a high number of spores, you may have health difficulties.
Where Do Household Molds Grow?
Walls, floors, appliances, rugs, and furniture may all offer the nourishment mold needed to thrive. But because all household molds require moisture, you’re more likely to find mold in wet locations like bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, basements, and crawl spaces.
6 Types Of Harmful Household Molds That Could Be In Your Home
While mold may be found almost anywhere and is not necessarily dangerous, certain forms of mold or fungus can represent a severe health risk to you and your family if present in your home. Here are some of the most common toxic mold species that can grow inside homes where there are wet surfaces or water damage, as well as some tips for what to do if you suspect you have harmful mold in your home.
Stachybotrys, often known as “black mold,” is one of the most deadly forms of mold, causing flu-like symptoms, diarrhea, headaches, memory loss, and serious lung damage. Children are more vulnerable to health concerns connected with black mold exposure because their lungs are still growing.
Black mold, as the name implies, is dark in color, however it can also be grey or dark green. It has a musty or mildew stench and is often found in highly wet regions of houses and other structures.
Chaetomium is most often discovered in water-damaged homes because it thrives in moist, dark surroundings like drywall, wallpaper, baseboards, and carpets. This mold is related to black mold and can occasionally be found in the same settings.
Chaetomium spores can induce brain damage and some autoimmune disorders in addition to normal allergy symptoms such as red, watery eyes and difficulty breathing.
Although aspergillus spores are found in the air that many of us breathe on a daily basis, this form of mold can be hazardous to those who have weakened immune systems. Aspergillus exposure can result in allergic responses, lung infections, and a form of illness known as aspergillosis.
Penicillium, like aspergillus, is common in many everyday surroundings, but if it becomes trapped inside your house, it can cause asthmatic symptoms, bronchitis, and other respiratory issues.
Fusarium is a kind of mold that is most frequently found in plant waste and soil, but it may also be found in extremely moist places of your house, such as beneath carpeting, behind drywall or foam insulation, and in humidifier pans and HVAC systems.
Exposure to fusarium spores can result in a severe eye illness known as fusarium keratitis.
Alternaria, a well-known allergy-causing mold, is abundant in many climatic zones throughout the spring and summer. Although this mold is not commonly discovered in construction materials, it may be found in the air within your home and may also be found in electrical wires, cardboard, canvas, and other fabrics.
What to Do If You Suspect Your Home Is Infested With Toxic Household Molds
Because toxic mold exposure can pose a severe health risk, it is critical that you get expert assistance if you suspect you have hazardous mold in your home. The first step is to get your house checked for mold by a specialist. This should include a comprehensive inspection for any water damage or mold growth discovered on your home’s components, as well as an air quality test to look for airborne spores. This entire procedure usually takes an hour or less to complete.
Household Molds Removal Company Serving South Florida
Not many household molds removal companies in Florida can compete with National Restoration Experts’ work and service quality. Give your property the finest servicing possible.
Contact National Restoration Experts at 754-216-4660 now for 24 hour water damage restoration, fire damage restoration, or mold removal, or receive a quick quotation from our website. In 30 to 60 minutes, our household molds removal crew will arrive at your south Florida house or office.
Curious about how mold removal cost is determined? Read more here.