If you have experienced a flood or other disaster that resulted in excessive mold growth, you should act as quickly as possible. Mold can grow in places throughout your home, including on your clothing. National Restoration Experts (NRE) is a leading mold cleanup company in South Florida. Our team understands how frustrating a mold problem can be, and we want to assist you in removing mold from items such as clothes.
Mold Removal from Clothing
You might apply any of a variety of solutions to eliminate mold from your clothing. You can use ingredients such as bleach, baking soda, borax, or vinegar. You can also utilize a specialized, commercial mold detergent.
The following are a few general steps to take when washing moldy clothes:
- Dry the Clothing: First, remove the clothes from the wet or moist environment that caused the mold to appear. Allow the items to dry, and be sure to clean the affected area inside your home.
- Pre-treat the Fabric: Once you have chosen a solution and the clothes are dry, pretreat them before washing. Spray them with the solution and allow it some time to penetrate. If you are using vinegar, you can mix a cup of that in a bucket of cold water and let the clothing soak in it.
- Wash the Clothes: Next, wash the clothes on the hottest setting possible. If you used bleach or vinegar to pre-treat the items, you can add some of the same to the cycle. If you are using borax or special mold detergent to wash the clothing, follow the instructions on the package.
- Dry the Items: Next, dry the clothes on the hottest setting you can safely use for them.
- Repeat as Needed: Once they are dry, smell the items and look for evidence of mold. If you can still smell or see mold spores or mold stains, you should repeat the process until the mold is totally gone.
Expert Mold Remediation
You can certainly clean the mold out of your clothes, but you will need a mold remediation company to eliminate the problem in your home. The NRE team is available 24/7 to assist you with disaster cleanup and mold issues.